About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Monday, February 05, 2018

Hugo Award nominations are now open

Hugo Award nominations are now open, closing on Friday, March 16.

The rules as to who can nominate are complicated (and confusingly explained on the site). However, it seems that anyone who is a member of the 2018 World Science Fiction Convention (to be held in San Jose), or who was a member of the 2017 World Science Fiction Convention (held last year in Helsinki), is able to nominate and should be receiving an email about it from this year's convention committee. Likewise for anyone who is already a member of the 2019 Worldcon (scheduled to be held in Dublin).

As I've done in the past, I'll look carefully at the nomination list when it's announced, and I'll read as much as I can of the nominated work before I cast my votes for the various categories. But even before that, there is the nomination process. For the first time in a long time, I have a work published last year that seems a plausible contender for one of the categories ("Best Related Work"), so we'll see if it gets any nominations.

No comments: